Saturday, August 08, 2009

A Dialog with Atheists

Awhile ago I posted a response to an article written by an Atheist. I actually posted this blog to that site and received numerous responses. I've haven't had time to respond but thought I'd take time to respond to some of my favorites. One poster apparently being complimentary stated "what a maroon". I'm not sure how to respond to that except that when I was a kid we bought a brand new maroon colored car. And I really liked it. So maybe they liked what they read I don't know.

Someone else stated an almost childlike faith in science. It brought back that scene from the Jack Black movie where the scrawny and "erudite" ;-) wrestler declares "I don't believe in God I believe in science".

Others tried vainly to help this poor blogger understand probability and evolution. I appreciate their efforts. I admit I am still an ignoramus even after receiving a degree in Microbiology and Electrical Engineering, even after working for years as a research assistent and later as an Engineer Scientist. However along the way I learned a great deal more about evolution and probability than my atheist responders were able to explain to me in a few ranting sentences.

I also had a grammar checker and some who had seen all these old arguments before.

But the ones I really want to respond to is those who tried to explain that Atheism wasn't a religion. Apparently they did not grasp the Irony in Atheism. So I will try to be more plain.

Religion at it's heart tries to explain where we came from and how we got here. Atheists too try to explain where we came from and how we got here. They explain how we got here through principles of probability and evolution. And like everyone else, because they weren't there when it all happened, it is a faith. If it looks like a duck and walks like a duck...you tell me, is it a duck? Atheism may not be defined as a religion but it sure looks like a religion no?


So now I will say it again. If by probability and evolution we can explain the existence of our Universe, this Earth, and the Sun that warms us perfectly. If probability can explain how we have a Sun that is multi-trillions of degrees at it's core yet it warms us so perfectly that we panic and call it Global Warming when their may or may not be a 1 degree variation in our Global temperature. If probability and evolution can explain the wonderful correlation of reason and mathematics to the physical world. If probability can explain our existence and the existence of the plants that are perfectly attuned to our nourishment. If probability and evolution can explain all of this then why do we suddenly and almost randomly constrain it? What is the probability that in the vast space of which we know so little, some Being more intelligent than us exists? And what is the probability that this Being might be far far more intelligent than us? And if so what say you, why not call the Being...God?





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Imagine a puddle waking up one morning and thinking, 'This is an interesting world I find myself in — an interesting hole I find myself in — fits me rather neatly, doesn't it? In fact it fits me staggeringly well, must have been made to have me in it!' This is such a powerful idea that as the sun rises in the sky and the air heats up and as, gradually, the puddle gets smaller and smaller, it's still frantically hanging on to the notion that everything's going to be alright, because this world was meant to have him in it, was built to have him in it."

(Douglas Adams)